In the Township of Douro-Dummer, food waste is not permitted in the garbage. To dispose of food waste, you can:

  • Use a backyard composter and/or digestor
  • Drop-off food waste in the Molok bins at the Halls Glen Transfer Station

Backyard Composters & Digestors 

Composters and digesters can be purchased from our municipal office in Warsaw (please call ahead to ensure availability) or from the County of Peterborough, 705-775-2737 x 0.

Composters and digesters differ in the way they work, the effort involved in installing and maintaining them as well as their final products. 


Composters are quick and easy to set up, but require ongoing maintenance to work well.

Composters can accept most yard waste (except for weed seeds and waste contaminated with herbicides or pesticides) and food waste (except for meat, dairy and oil).

Composting can give you excellent organic material that can be used to improve your garden or lawn soil.  


Digestors require work upfront to install, but little to no maintenance once they are installed. Digestors can break down small amounts of meat, dairy and oil. The product created through digestion is not appropriate to add to your garden or lawn.

Food Waste Drop-Off at Hall's Glen Transfer Station

If you prefer not compost or digest in your own backyard, you can drop your food waste off at the Hall's Glen Transfer Station Molok bins free of charge.

What can go into the Molok bins?

Only food waste can be disposed of in the Molok bins. Acceptable food items include:

  • Baked goods
  • Coffee grounds and filters
  • Cooked food
  • Dairy products
  • Eggs and shells
  • Fruits and vegetables
  • Leftover food
  • Meat, fish and bones
  • Tea bags

Food waste can be dumped directly into the Moloks. If you must wrap your food waste use plain paper bags or newspaper.

What cannot go into the Molok bins?

Items that cannot be disposed of in the Molok bins include:

  • Paper towel, tissue, napkins
  • Kitty litter
  • Dog feces
  • Food still in its container/wrapping
  • Sanitary products, diapers
  • "Compostable" or “biodegradable” plastic products
  • Paper coffee cups
  • Leaf, brush and yard waste

Bags marketed as “compostable” or “biodegradable” do not break down in our system, please use regular paper bags or sheets of newsprint to contain your food waste.

Do not throw any type of plastic into the Molok bins!

What do I do with leaf, brush and yard waste?

The Hall's Glen Transfer Station does not accept brush, leaf or yard waste.

Brush, leaf and yard waste can be taken to:

  • Waste Connection of Canada
    • 348 County Road 6
    • Open Monday to Friday 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
    • Tipping fees will apply
    • 705-742-4268

The County of Peterborough collects leaf, brush and yard waste in the spring and fall months for residents living in Donwood. Please check the County of Peterborough website for scheduling of these collections.

Douro-Dummer residents are also able to dispose of leaf, brush and yard waste in a bin that is available during the spring and the fall. The bin is located at the Warsaw Public Works Depot yard from Mondays at 7:00 a.m. to Fridays at 1:00 p.m. There is no access to the bin during the weekends. 

Tips for using the bin:

  • When disposing of leaves in bags ensure you use paper bags weighing less than 22 kg (50 lbs) and shorter than 1 m (3 ft) when full (plastic bags are not accepted in the bin)
  • Brush can be loose or tied in bundles weighing not more than 22 kg (50 lbs), with a length of up to 1 m (3 ft) and a diameter of up to 30.5 cm (12 inches)

Acceptable Items:

  • Leaves, brush, branches, hedge and tree trimmings
  • Christmas trees – decorations removed
  • Grass clippings, lawn edging with soils removed
  • House and garden plants, trimmings
  • Small quantities of sod, within the weight limit

It is never acceptable to leave waste in the bin, unacceptable waste includes:

  • Soil and stones
  • Stumps
  • Large quantities of sod
  • Brush over the maximum dimensions
  • Pet waste
  • Food waste
  • Lumber, building materials, plastic and garbage

Contact the municipal office if you need assistance in determining where you can dispose of your waste.