Building Permits

You need a building permit before you can begin your next building or renovation project in the Township of Douro-Dummer. A building permit helps ensure that your project meets the requirements in the Zoning By-law, Official Plan and Ontario Building Code.

Before you start

Before you apply to see if you require any additional agency approvals, please contact us.

When do I need a building permit?

You need to apply for a building permit for:

  • All new construction of any type (i.e., commercial, industrial, residential, agricultural)
  • Additions to existing buildings regardless of the size
  • Open decks and porches
  • All new or replacement solid fuel heating systems
  • Temporary event tents 60 square metres or larger (this applies to both a single tent of that size or larger, or the sum of multiple tents)

 Temporary Tent Information

  • Temporary tents require a building a permit when their foot print is 60 square meters or larger. This applies to both a single tent of that size or the sum of multiple tents. 
  • An inspection of the tent must be done prior to its use, please ensure to book the inspection well in advance of your event (there are no inspections Friday to Sunday).
  • All tents must be 3 metres or more away from structures.
  • Tents must be in compliance with the Ontario Fire Code, visit the Fire and Emergency Services webpage for more information. 


A building permit is not required for an accessory building that is 15 square meters or less unless the building will be used for human habitation or if it contains plumbing.

Apply for a building permit

Please submit your complete application, including  authorization if applying on behalf of the owner, agency approvals, site plan, and any necessary drawings. Permit applications are now completed on Cloudpermit. Permit applications are no longer accepted on Permit Tracker (, any existing applications have been transferred over as of Jan 18, 2022.

Please be advised that Cloudpermit is not mobile phone friendly. To ensure ease of access login using a laptop or desktop computer. Below are links to online resources to help guide you through the application process.

Cloudpermit Applicant User Guide

How to create a Cloudpermit account.

How to videos for Cloudpermit including how to submit a building permit application

Apply now

It takes generally 6 to 10 business days for us to issue a building permit. If the application is complex, it may take longer.

Site Plan details

Along with the building permit application, you must submit a Site Plan that includes:

  • All existing buildings and dimensions
  • All four setbacks to proposed and existing buildings and structures
  • All setbacks to proposed or existing decks
  • Sewage system location (proposed or existing)
  • Well location (proposed or existing)
  • Surface water drainage by arrows
  • Proposed ground elevation of four corners of building plus relationship to adjacent property
  • North arrow
  • Street name
  • Proposed or existing swales and ditches
  • Foundation or sump drainage location
  • Services – hydro – existing and proposed


Fees vary depending on the type and scope of the project. If you begin construction, including site preparation or excavation, before we issue a permit, the appropriate fee is doubled.


Except for specialty permits, fees are calculated based on construction value, which is the total cost for a project including materials and labour at fair market value.


For 2024, the following construction project permits cost $14.50 for every $1,000 of construction value:

  • Dwelling
  • Cottage (island/WAO)
  • Commercial
  • Industrial
  • Institutional
  • Boathouse
  • Garage
  • Shed
  • Deck (open or enclosed)
  • Residential addition or renovation
  • ICI addition or renovation

Agricultural building permits, for bona fide farm uses, cost 25% of the regular permit cost, so $3.63 for every $1,000 of construction value.


Specialty permits and additional fees:

  • Swimming pools costs $225
  • Solid fuel burning appliance or chimney costs $225
  • Moving or relocating a building costs $225
  • Construction trailer (includes less than 4.25 m2 deck) costs $225
  • Demolition (one building) costs $225
  • Demolition (more than 1 building per building) costs $200 per building
  • Change of use (no construction) costs $500
  • Transfer permit (ownership change with open permits) costs $225 per permit
  • Plumbing Only - residential with less than 10 fixtures costs $225
  • Plumbing Only - residential with 10 or more fixtures costs $400
  • Plumbing Only - commercial costs $575
  • Minimum fee costs $225
  • Minimum deck fee costs $120
  • Temporary tent permit costs $0

Online payments

If you select this option, you'll pay using your credit card. You will need the roll number of the property related to the building permit.

Pay for your building permit online

There is 2.25% processing fee. Please notify the Building Department when a payment is made online (705-652-8392 extension 211). 

Agency approvals

Depending on the location of your property, you may need to receive additional agency approvals before you apply for a building permit. Below are some of the frequently required agency approvals.

Otonabee Region Conservation Authority

If you're property is located in an area protected by the Otonabee Region Conservation Authority, you'll need to receive approval for certain building projects including:

  • Minor filing
  • Minor construction – accessory buildings such as boathouses and garages
  • Major construction – dwellings, additions
  • Basements and crawlspaces

Drinking water source protection - Peterborough Municipal Intake Protection Zone

Drinking water source protection - Norwood Municipal Wellhead Protection Zone

Drinking water source protection - Lakefield Municipal Intake Protection Zone

Trent Severn Waterways

You're required to get a permit if conducting any projects that connect to the Trent-Severn Waterways. This includes docks, boathouses and retaining walls. A permit is required for new builds or repairs to existing builds.

Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry

Visit the Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry to apply for a permit if you're building:

  • A dock over 140 square feet in area
  • Any retaining wall construction in a regulated area (generally near water/natural features)

Electric Safety Authority

If your construction project includes electrical work, you'll need to get approval from the Electric Safety Authority.

County of Peterborough

The County of Peterborough Roads department will be required if your entrance is new or being altered and your property is on a County Road.

Ministry of Transportation

The Ministry of Transportation via the Highway Corridor Management System, permit is required if you are doing work within the provincial highway corridor, including Highway 28 and the unconstructed Peterborough Bypass (which runs parallel with Douro 9th Line).

Book an inspection

You'll need to have the building inspected at various points throughout the construction project once the permit is issued. Learn how to book a building inspection.

Forms & Templates

For accessibility, all of these documents are available in hard copy at the Municipal Office.

Building Permits 

Application for a Building Permit to Construct or Demolish

Schedule 1 - Designer Information

Authorization to Act as Agent - required when the applicant is not the property owner

Energy Efficiency Design Summary (Performance)

Energy Efficiency Design Summary (Prescriptive)

Commitment to General Reviews by Architect and Engineers

Septic Permits

Application for Sewage System

Sewage System Calculations - must be provided as part of the septic application

Schedule 2 - Septic System Installer/ Designer Information